Saturday, October 19, 2013

Meet The Choreographers!

Emily Janik

I am a senior dance major, who choreographed two pieces for Afterimages 2012. This year I am stepping waaay out of my comfort zone. First off I’m choreographing a Jazz styled piece, which is something I usually never do. I’m also working with a composer on creating original music. Not having set music to start with has definitely been a challenge for me. In the past, I have gone into rehearsal with a really strong idea about the movement and overall construction of the piece. But this time around, everything is being generated simultaneously. I've had to approach my creative process very differently for this particular project.  I want to create a very jazzy old-school, speakeasy feel. To create this I’m working with a multifaceted approach by using live and original music, dancing, singing, and a little acting as well.

Thomas Jacobson

I am a junior dance major and last year I had the opportunity to have my work selected of Afterimages 2012! I am choreographing a contemporary ballet piece this year. My concept is an abstract look at breast cancer and how it emotionally affects not only the life of the patient but also the lives of those around her. My approach was definitely experimental and ever changing at the beginning of the choreographing process but we have reached a very comfortable and exciting place throughout our (the dancers and I) work together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment