Saturday, October 5, 2013

Meet the Choreographers!

This year, we are having a section of our blog called “Meet the Choreographers!” This will allow you to get to know a bit more of the Afterimages process from people on the inside! So, I’ll start with myself!

Ashlyn Cianciolo
I'm a junior Dance Major and Business Minor. I’m choreographing a contemporary/modern piece based off of people watching. My developing thought is that everyone has an external and internal self. People portray a certain image that they think seems appealing or acceptable in society. These people wear a public “mask.” Because of this idea, my dancers will (most likely) be wearing masks as they’re external role, and take them off when they become their internal character.

I am approaching this year with a much clearer idea than last year. I have more specific characters for my dancers to portray and I think that is helping me move along quicker through the rehearsal process. My cast is also great in embodying whatever I tell them to do! So far everything is going great and I have high hopes for my finished product! 

Morgan McMahon
I'm a senior majoring in Dance and Arts Management. I'm choreographing a Modern/folk piece this year! My piece focuses on the relationships between trees and humans, and vice versa. I love trees, and I think they’re something brushed off by people in life, but I think they have a ton to teach us humans. I’m creating more on the spot than ever. With six dancers to work with, I cannot come in with too much of a choreographic or spatial plan, because things naturally change with six dancers learning material. I love this new way I’m working, because I think it’s not only working better for me, but it’s also making the environment for my dancers a zen, relaxing, and creative one.

Be sure to check back next week to meet two more of our Afterimages Choreographers!


No comments:

Post a Comment