Sunday, October 13, 2013

Meet The Choreographers!

Ellen Petersen

I am a sixth year senior with majors in Dance and Early Childhood Education/Early Childhood Special Education. This year, I am choreographing a ballet dance that explores individuality in a universal world.  How can you make yourself stick out and be noticed while doing the same thing as everyone else? 

I've been listening to the music and playing around with movement until I find something I like. So far it's working well and I really like the direction my piece is headed!


Gretchen Hoehn

I am a 5th year senior with a major in art and a minor in dance. My approach to this piece, in few words, is “full speed ahead!”  More so than any other work I've made thus far, my vision is very clear.  I have not needed to wrestle with finding a concept, deciding on music, or any other ambiguities that come with creating a dance.  I am harvesting the choreography as it comes to me and have the privilege of setting it on a beautiful, quick-learning cast soon after.  It’s exciting!  I am hoping to get the majority of the choreography taught in the coming weeks (all 11.5 minutes of it…) to leave plenty of room for development, changes, and cleaning.  (fingers crossed)

I tend to grapple with categorizing my choreography, because it is constantly evolving in the rehearsal process.  I am aiming to combine the grounded-ness of modern with the flare of contemporary movement.  In short, this piece deals with the process of mourning and accepting that a loved one has passed.  It can be an unpleasant and sometimes grueling process.  Although it might be easier to forget and move on, I would like to confront the emotions and questions that are so easy to brush aside: the confusion, frustration, anguish …and ultimately the question that haunts us all:  where are they now?   

No comments:

Post a Comment