Saturday, November 16, 2013

Meet the Choreographers!

Alyssa Albers

I'm a Junior Dance and Business Administration Major. This year I am choreographing a group tap piece that Due to outside circumstances, my approach has been to get all my choreographic material out and on the dancers first. After that, I will sit back and look at the piece to make any composition/stylistic choices or changes. So far, this mode of thinking has been working and I am very happy with how it is coming along! The concept of my piece is that it is a competition between the dancers and the music, as well as “friendly” competition between the dancers themselves. I feel like this is a good concept to go with, especially with a tap piece, because you have such a variety of options at your disposal- rhythm patterns with both the feet and hands, canons using the steps, etc.


Madelyn Mickelsen

I am a junior Dance and Arts Management Major. The concept of my contemporary/jazz piece is gypsy enslavement during the 1800s. It is a dark subject that we often think about, but do not relate to. Four gypsies have been captured, locked up in a dark cell, and are enslaved. They find this relationship with one another and try to break out together. Through their enslavement they slowly become mentally insane and crack. Due to their insanity they are tortured and killed. My approach is very different from usual. I have created only a few short combinations and branched off from there. Also, my piece is a character study. I am letting the voice of that character come through versus letting the music and movement take me away. My cast has a strong viewpoint of who they are as this character and interprets their own individual character very differently. I ask myself a lot of questions. Where is this person? How are they feeling? What are they going through? I am very satisfied with where my piece is and the direction it is going. 


No comments:

Post a Comment