Saturday, December 7, 2013

One Last Meet the Choreographer!

Mariusz Kujawski

This year I got the pleasure of performing a solo work titled “Where to? And how to?" This modern work echoes my life journey. It all started in Poland where I was born, Polish, a Slavic language, was my first language that I learned. I was always captivated and attracted by languages, which motivated my parents to sign up me for English twice a week. When my family and I moved to Iceland to better our life condition, we were required to learn how to speak Icelandic in order to communicate. I had a challenging time when put straight into high school; I needed to adopt to an entirely new Germanic language this time. In the dance there will be times when I speak Icelandic and Polish. I understand that most of you won't comprehend the words I will speak but do not worry, the solo will allow you to understand my life story through movement. I look forward to seeing you, enjoy the performance!

TRANSLATION
Polish:]
Welcome, to my little world, world of love and happiness. Where exactly am I, I cannot tell you but through this experience right now on stage maybe together we will discover where I should go. I sit here on this stage and think about my family. I think of my mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, my uncle, my aunt, and all of my cousins.  They all are together with out me. My mom and my dad are far away from this land, they are happy and said, and I hope sometimes they think about me and  whom I became. This bowl is empty and so was my hurt when I left my family to come to the States, I had nothing but half of an idea of what is going to happened. I washed my worries and I wash my past away. I bawl is empty, why is it so empty?

Who are you?
- Pole small.

- What is your sign?
- White Eagle.

- Where do you live?
- Between the lines.

- In which country?
  The Polish country.

- What is this land?
- My homeland.

- How was it gained?
- With Blood and Scars.

- Do you love it there?
- I love sincerely.

- And what do you believe?
- In Poland I believe.

Now I am entering this new world, world of happiness and hope. I spin in this bawl and get lost in its freedom like I get lost in this strange land, full of new ideas.

Icelandic :]
Yes, it was difficult to move from Poland to Iceland. I like it here however, the mountains are beautiful but the people are cold. It was a hard time for me as a teenager. I survived do to my only friend Anton, he was the only one that was open to me, he saved my life with his friendship. Anton I thank you for your strength.

Polish:]
hello who are you? Would you like to join me on this journey? Come with me please.

Mom and my lovely dad, I am coming to you this time I am not so little anymore, not so little any more, not any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment